Addiction has many root causes – two of which are family issues and bad relationships. A person with a substance abuse problem cannot fully recover without addressing issues that might hinder full rehabilitation. For many, this process requires the participation of loved ones to help get through. You and your loved ones can help each other through important treatments while experiencing the benefits of family therapy at Sunflower Wellness Retreat.
What Is Family Therapy?
Did you know that addiction is sometimes referred to as “a family disease?” Family therapy refers to a series of treatment activities that incorporate the group, not just the individual. Family members are brought into the mix to improve the process of recovery, anticipating problems that may have contributed to addiction.
4 Benefits of Family Therapy
Family therapy programs can make a difference in many distinct ways. While the ultimate goal of family therapy may be to change one specific behavior or deal with one specific problem, the benefits of family therapy extend to important areas in this process. Some of the benefits of family therapy include:
- Self-Awareness: A person suffering from addiction can lose their self-awareness. They may become oblivious to their own needs and behaviors, resulting in inattentiveness to oneself and the people around them. Being aware of your needs and actions toward the people around you encourages self-control. Therefore, knowing your self is a critical area of development for your recovery and well-being.
- Family Communication: Communication might be the first area that people with an addiction tend to neglect. In the worst-case scenario, they may cut off ties from their friends and families. Family members may then be unable or unwilling to reach out to help their loved ones suffering from addiction. Communication may only involve talking and listening. However, this method helps family members understand how to care for someone with an addiction.
- Recognizing Negative Behaviors: Issues of codependency and engaging in enabling behaviors are factors that encourage addiction. Families with substance abuse often share these behaviors. Thus, it often requires a third party’s perspective to deal with problems associated with addiction. Through the benefits of family therapy, members can become aware of how their actions can perpetuate addiction. Being able to identify such negative factors in families can identify solutions and strategies to prevent such toxic behaviors.
- Relapse Prevention: An individual who has just succeeded from battling substance dependencies may feel the urge to relapse. Giving in to that urge poses threats to your health and returning to the need for seeking help in the recovery process. It is important to be aware of common relapse triggers to sustain your healthy lifestyle choices. Discussion between family members and the person facing addiction is one preventive measure that can help—becoming informed of the cycle of addiction benefits not only the person concerned but also the entire family unit.
What to Expect
Addiction has a timeline and follows a cycle. Fortunately, this process also has a stop sign. It is possible to rid yourself of addiction. And you don’t have to do it alone. The team of medical professionals at Sunflower Wellness Retreat can help guide you through the recovery process. We offer a variety of programs to help you achieve lifetime recovery, including:
- One-on-one talk between medical professionals
- Holistic treatment programs
- Recreational activities
- Individual therapy
- Alumni program
We Can Succeed Together at Sunflower Wellness Retreat
When you realize you or your loved one has become dependent on drugs or alcohol, you may be overcome with a feeling of helplessness. But as long as you decide to receive treatment, recovery is possible. And with the many benefits of family therapy, the process can truly be life-changing. Call Sunflower Wellness Retreat at 855.730.8825 to schedule your appointment with us today!