There are two basic ways of defining the definition of addiction. 1) When you take more drugs or substance than you like to use. 2) When you continue to use regardless of the negative consequences of the use.
Excessive use of substances such as drugs comes as a result of people trying to relax, escape or reward themselves. However, after a while, due to the influence of the drug/alcohol, people tend to believe they cannot function to their best without using nor can they enjoy life. One of the common damage from drug or alcohol use is to a person’s self-esteem.
For a person to be diagnosed with addiction medically, they must at least meet three criteria from the World Health Organization, after the medical assessment.
- Limited control. Do you find yourself sometimes using more than you would like? Do you take the substance to attain a certain feeling? Alternatively, do you sometimes regret that you have spent so much?
- Do you use more of the substance over time
- The desire to cut down. Do you keep plotting on how to limit or cut down your usage or have you been making unsuccessful attempts to control or cut down your use?
- Negative consequences. Do you still find yourself using the substance even after negative consequences to your family, health, mood, job, or self-esteem?
- Do you experience emotional or physical withdrawals after you stop using or experience irritability, vomiting, anxiety, nausea, shakes or sweats?
Addiction comes in when you list expect. The continued use of substances starts to stimulate the brain and makes you feel good. However, if you continue using the drug, the feeling escalates, and it feels much better. Therefore, you will keep looking for the substance to maintain the same high state.
Cost of addiction
When addiction gets so severe, it becomes important than any other thing in the world. The urge of getting and using the substance overtakes every moment of your life. It replaces everything that you once had pleasure or enjoyed to do. Addiction pushes you to a point where you can trade all you have just to get the drug. To others, the feeling gets so intense that it can push you to steal or to lie just to keep taking the drug.
Addiction is an illness like cancer, heart disease, and diabetes. It is possible for one to get back from the addiction and lead a healthy life once again. There are several drug rehab centers in Kansas where people seek and find help from the addiction they are in. However, before you start getting the help you need, it must start with the personal acceptance that you need help.
Addiction can strike anybody. If you are suffering from addiction, it’s not an indication that you are a bad person. Both rich and poor can become victims of addiction. Additionally, addiction can happen to people of all ages, although, young people are at a higher risk of getting addicted if they start using the drug early. Give us a call at 8557308825 and we can help figure out what you think about the Definition of Addiction.