Alcohol use is one of the most widely used addictive substances in the United States. With over 88,000 deaths a year from this substance, you probably want to know more about alcohol use and abuse. Some questions you may have are — what constitutes an alcohol use disorder, and you may want to know the common types of alcohol abused. Let’s take a look at these issues and more.
What Is Alcohol Use Disorder?
The National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism states that alcohol use disorder is a “chronic relapsing brain disorder characterized by an impaired ability to stop or control alcohol use despite adverse social, occupational, or health consequences.” In other words, you lack control of your drinking even when it harms you in various ways.
Furthermore, the alcohol changes the brain to create an inability to control the urges and cravings that you get for alcohol, thereby making it all the more difficult to quit.
If you’re not sure if you have alcohol use disorder, there are some things to ask yourself:
- Do you struggle with stopping drinking after you’ve had one drink?
- Do you find yourself thinking about alcohol often and thinking about when you will drink the next time?
- Has drinking ever interfered with your ability to keep your obligations to life, such as going to work, caring for the family, or making appointments?
- Do you end up getting drunk even when you didn’t intend to do so?
- Have you started to feel withdrawal effects several hours after you stopped drinking?
If you answered yes to any of these, then you could have alcohol use disorder. A certified alcohol rehab therapist can provide more information about next steps.
Common Types Of Alcohol Abused
What are the common types of alcohol abused, you may wonder? There are three different categories of alcohol, which are as follow:
Beer — beer consists of grains, such as barley, hops, and yeast. There are several types of beer such as ale, porters, lagers, stouts, and craft beers. Beer doesn’t have as much alcohol in it as wine and liquor. Beer is a common drink that many people become addicted to.
Wine — wine comes from fruit when it’s fermented. The most common fruit used in making wine is berries, grapes, and pomegranates.
Liquor — liquor can be used to refer to a wide range of alcoholic drinks. Some of the more common ones are whiskey, gin, brandy, vodka, and cognac. Usually, people will mix liquor with something else like soda or juice. Liquor has a high alcohol content, so only a small amount will cause someone to get drunk.
Introducing Sunflower Wellness Retreat
At Sunflower Wellness Retreat, you can find a healthy and bright future with a therapist by your side. Our relaxing retreat center will welcome you and make you feel at home, while you lounge on 12 acres of retreat-like land. Peace of mind is awaiting you at our retreat center. Also, you’ll discover basketball and volleyball courts, plus other recreational options.
We use evidence-based therapies given by compassionate therapists. Some of the therapies include:
- Individual therapy treatment program
- Cognitive-behavioral therapy treatment program
- Family therapy treatment program
- Group therapy treatment program
- Dialectical behavior therapy treatment program
- Trauma therapy treatment program
- Holistic therapy treatment program
Don’t let alcohol use disorder take over your life and hold you back. You can break free from substance use with the help of a qualified treatment facility. Now that you know the common types of alcohol abused, you can find hope for your future. Contact us at 855.730.8825 and find hope and happiness for your life. Take the first steps on your road to recovery.